southern italian life

An American woman's random thoughts on daily life in southern Italy

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

On the road again

I haven't posted for a while because I've been very busy getting ready to leave for the States. We leave in two days and there are lots of last minute details to be taken care of. I say "we" leave but actually only the boys and I are going this year. Much to Francesco's dismay . . . We will be gone for five weeks and he has been missing us since I started talking about the trip last January!

This whole "going on vacation without Dad" issue is quite a loaded one among my ex-pat woman friends here. There are those of us who leave with the kids as soon as school is out and come back in September. Others go ahead for a few weeks with the kids, then the husband joins them in the States for a while and they return together (which is what we have always done so far). Others only go in the company of their partner.

It seems obvious that the best thing to do would be to all travel together, but there are various issues to be considered . . . like that most of us are teachers and have the whole summer off while our husbands don't. Or the fact that we would like our kids to have more than just a passing acquaintance with OUR country and culture . . . which is something that takes time. You can't get a feel for the US in just two weeks.

Anyway, it makes leaving somewhat bittersweet to leave behind someone who is sad about your departure.

15 Comments:

At 9/03/2006 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sara,

How was the summer trip to the States? Are you back in Italy again? I've been enjoying reading your writing! All the best, Karin Bradberry

 
At 8/03/2008 6:29 PM, Blogger PJ said...

I wish I had to make that decision: to stay in Italy or to leave Italy...hmmmm.
Thanks for stopping by the Pensacola Daily Photo. Have a good trip and a safe return.

 
At 9/20/2008 11:23 AM, Blogger Marie Reed said...

I'm on the six week without husband summer plan! If my husband were there my boys would continue to speak German! How's a girl supposed to properly brainwash her child under those conditions:)

 
At 3/21/2009 2:21 AM, Blogger Femin Susan said...

I just wanted to ask the same questions as karin Bradberry asked
How was the summer trip to the States? Are you back in Italy again?
I enjoyed reading your post.
Cheers!

 
At 7/26/2009 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!! I found your blog and I love it! I'm in Naples and actually, I'm having the opposite problem. I won't be able to make it back to the States for three years straight. I already fear my culture shock. Plus, I'm reading things about the States that make me a bit uneasy about returning -- economic crises, high unemployment, housing foreclosures, etc. etc.

Hope you post some thoughts and impressions when you return.

Saluti!
Barbara
http://theespressobreak.blogspot.com

 
At 7/03/2010 3:06 AM, Blogger Cole Franke said...

Thank you for the sweet comment over at rambles with reese. You have a lovely blog here. :)

 
At 7/09/2010 5:38 PM, Blogger Crownd Vic said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog for SITS Friday Potluck!

I love your blog and am now following! :)

 
At 7/09/2010 11:24 PM, Blogger Crystal Escobar said...

That is so awesome that you're living in Italy right now, wow! I would soooo love that :)

 
At 7/21/2010 8:11 AM, Blogger Carrie said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. You are my first friend in Italy. How cool is that?

Carrie
the5thgirl.com

 
At 7/25/2010 8:03 AM, Blogger Tisha Matthews said...

Thanks for you comment on my blog. A few weeks ago my son and I went to Florida to visit my family for two weeks. My vacation time was a little shorter than yours, but my man didn't come with us because he had to go to Jamaica. The whole time we were there my son and I felt like something was missing. lol It was Brain, we missed him very much and he felt the same way. Even though we weren't together we still had fun on our vacations.. I can so relate to your post.. :-)

 
At 7/25/2010 7:14 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Great blog! I'd love to see some posts from this year tho - =D Are you going to start blogging again?

I'd like to thank you for following my little blog. And I'd love to have you come back again.

Thanks! Tina "The Book Lady"

 
At 7/27/2010 12:50 AM, Anonymous Hannah said...

I have always dreamed of living in Italy. That is not a dilemma I would have thought of. I would not want to leave my husband for that long but on the other hand I would want to go back to the states and see family. Hmm....

 
At 9/18/2010 6:24 PM, Blogger glee said...

Have a safe trip and have fun! :)

Win a $75 gift certificate giveaway at Creative Fashion!

 
At 2/12/2011 9:17 PM, Blogger April said...

So happy you stopped by my blog...thanks for visiting! Wow...ITALY, huh? My husband was stationed in Vicenzia when he was an Army Airborne Ranger...loved it there!

 
At 2/14/2011 6:36 AM, Blogger Natasha in Oz said...

This must be very hard for all of you. I am sure the time will pass by so quickly, though, that you won't even realize that you've been gone away too long!

Best wishes,
Natasha.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home