southern italian life

An American woman's random thoughts on daily life in southern Italy

Monday, May 15, 2006

Mother's Day

My Mother's Day actually started on Saturday. When the boys got home from school they couldn't wait to present me with their school projects. Danny recited a very nice poem. The thing that was really nice about that was the way he got all emotional about saying it to me and then covered me with hugs and kisses while blushing. Aw, whatta sweetie. He had also made a small ceramic plate with raised roses and leaves. He said that he set the mold and painted the plate with glue so that the paint would stick on, but that the teachers had actually painted the roses. Very honest, no taking credit where it's not due! Gabri didn't remember his poem (as usual), but very proudly presented me with a recipe book that they had all made in class. It's not the gifts that really mean anything to me, but the emotion with which they give them to me that makes me feel loved!

On Sunday, we went out to lunch with F's sister, her two daughters, his mother and his mother's live-in companion (a Polish lady named Margherita, or the Polish version of it!). We went to the stables, or what used to be the stables. They don't keep other people's horses now, but have thrown all their energy into being a sort of agriturism restaurant. It's a very lovely place. We ate outside on an enormous green lawn (such a rare thing in this part of Italy). Danny found a gang of kids to play soccer with and Gabri made friends with the little boy at the next table, so they were happy. We had good food and everyone was in a good mood, so the day was a success. It's funny for me to go there and see the changes in the place. I taught English to their 3 kids and some other kids there one summer about 12 years ago. The daughter was 5 years old then . . . so, obviously, she's grown . . . Makes me wonder what my boys will be like when they're older.

Then in the evening we went to see the local basketball team play. They are in the playoffs now. We have become big fans since Danny started playing basketball - his coaches are players on the team - and never miss a home game. We hope that they'll win because if they do they will be promoted to B2, the next level up. I don't quite understand the organisation of Italian sports, they have various series. Ok, so I'm not up on the technicalities of US sports either, but I seem to remember that there are larger divisions, like the pros and the semi-pros, the major and the minor leagues . . . Whereas here there seem to be infinite divisions A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2, C3, D1, D2, Promotion, etc. Anyway, from my rather vague grasp of the matter, I do understand that moving up is a good thing and moving down is bad. So, I hope we make it to B2. If only to make Danny happy . . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home